Faculty activity and achievements
Each year, Newman faculty members publish and present a variety of literary and scholarly works. Here is a sample of recent activity and other achievements.
Susan Crane-Laracuente, Ph.D. Professor of English:
- Editorial board member of This Rough Magic, the November 2012 issue of which was the featured journal at the online resource guide Teaching College Literature.
Bryan Dietrich, Ph.D., Professor of English:
- The Monstrance. Manitoba: Belfire Press, 2012.
Bernadette Fetterolf, Ph.D., Associate Dean of Nursing and Allied Health:
- “Clinical Evaluation – Capturing A Moving Target,” presentation to the 7th Annual Kansas Commission for Nursing Education and Practice Clinical Teaching Institute, Wichita, Kan., July 26, 2012.
Max Frazier, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Education:
- The Technology Coordinator’s Handbook, Second Edition. Eugene, Ore.: International Society for Technology in Education, 2012.
Don Hufford, Ph.D., Professor of Education:
- “Rollo May, Existentialism, and the Classroom,” Journal of Philosophy and History of Education, Vol. 62, No. 1, Fall 2012.
- “Teaching to Transcend: Searching for What Might Be,” presentation to the Society of Philosophy and History of Education, St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 27-29, 2012.
- “The Teacher Rebel: Challenging the What Is,” presentation to the Critical Questions in Education Conference, Springfield, Mo., Oct. 15-16, 2012.
- “The Moral Implications of Examining a Personal Worldview,” presentation to the Association for Moral Education, San Antonio, Texas, Nov. 8-10, 2012.
Gina Marx, Ed.D., Director of Graduate Education Program:
- “Leadership Coaching For High Performance,” presentation to the Haysville Learning Center, Haysville, Kan., July 16-19, 2012.
- “Positive Intent & Reflective Feedback,” presentation to Shaner Elementary School staff, Topeka, Kan., Sept. 25, 2012.
- “Making Difficult Conversations Doable,” presentation to the Nonprofit Chamber of Service, Wichita, Kan., Nov. 8, 2012.
- “Leadership Coaching For High Performance,” presentation to South Central Kansas Education Service Center, Clearwater, Kan., Nov. 14-15 and 28-29, 2012.
- “Is Decision Paralysis Taking Over Common Core Implementation?” Learning Forward Kansas online newsletter, December 2012.
- “The Gift of Coaching,” presentation to the Learning Forward National Conference, Boston, Mass., Dec. 3-5, 2012.
Kelly McFall, Ph.D., Associate Professor of History:
- “Managing Decline: Habsburg Civil-Military Relations during the First World War,” presentation to the German Studies Association Annual Meeting, Milwaukee Wis., Oct. 6, 2012.
- “The Needs of Others: Human Rights, International Organizations and Intervention in Rwanda, 1994,” play test at the First Annual Reacting to the Past Game Design Workshop, Mt. Pleasant, Mich., July 2012.
Associate Professor of Nursing Joan Melzer, M.N. was one of 11 nurses selected nationwide as a volunteer item writer on a development panel of subject matter experts for the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Licensure Examination. She was also a member and content expert for the RN Item Writing Panel for the National Council of State Boards of Nursing in Chicago, Ill.
Melzer was also appointed Wichita Catholic Diocesan nurse representative to the Catholic Care Center Board of Directors by Bishop Michael O. Jackels, Nov. 1, 2012-2015.
Rosemary Niedens, M.A., Associate Vice President for Academic Services:
- “Servant Leadership and Personal Mission: Putting the Pieces Together,” presentation to the Nonprofit Chamber of Service, Wichita, Kan., Sept. 13, 2012.
Teresa Raehpour, M.A., Director of Interdisciplinary Studies:
- “Let’s Get Passionate!: Leadership thru Enthusiasm,” presentation to the Nonprofit Chamber of Service, Wichita, Kan., Oct. 11, 2012.
Director of Respiratory Care Program Meg Trumpp, M.E. was inducted as a Fellow of the American Association for Respiratory Care during the AARC’s annual meeting in New Orleans, Nov. 10, 2012. This honor recognizes “those individuals who have made a profound and lasting contribution to the profession of respiratory care and to the AARC.”
Director of Music Deanne Zogleman received the 2012 Mary Jane Teall Theatre Award for Lead Female in a Musical, Wichita, Kan. She portrayed Eve/Mama Noah in the production of “Children of Eden.”