Staff and faculty notes
Sonja Bontrager, assistant professor of Spanish, led the Summer Intensive Spanish Program for Seminarians in Wichita, Kansas.
Nicole Brown, payroll and student accounts supervisor, and husband Sterling welcomed a baby boy, Bennett Charles, to their family on Oct. 28.
John Brungardt, Ph.D., presented at a colloquium held at the IPC-Paris, in March 2020.
John Burke, assistant professor of education, received the Distinguished Service Award on Jan. 15 from the Kansas School Superintendent Association.
Denise Cooley, School of Business administrative assistant, earned a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Leadership from Newman University in August 2020.
Bryan Dietrich, Ph.D., was named a Bram Stoker Award finalist alongside his co-author, Marge Simon, for their narrative poetry collection titled, “The Demeter Diaries.”
Newman University is pleased to announce the resolution of its dispute with Sue Gardner, Ph.D., former director of the School of Social Work. Newman has reconsidered Dr. Gardner’s separation from employment in 2017, and, upon further consideration, accepts Dr. Gardner’s retirement. She leaves Newman University in good standing and we wish her the best.
Amelia Hopper and husband Marc, welcomed a baby girl, Sophie Lee Hopper, on March 7, 2020.
Jennifer Jones, Wichita MSW program and field education coordinator, completed her 7th “fourteener” hike in Colorado.
Lori Link, DNP, assistant professor of nursing, earned her Doctor of Nursing Practice from the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Kim Long, Ph.D., was recognized by the Wichita Business Journal in their “Women Who Lead in Education” section.
Kelly McFall, Ph.D., professor of history and chair of the Division of Humanities, published, “Changing the Game: Title IX, Gender and College Athletics,” with Abigail Perkiss. He also completed his first draft of a Reacting to the Past game entitled, “Algeria in Flames: The Franco-Algerian conflict, 1958-1961.”
Scott McIntosh, assistant professor of strategic intelligence, presented at the Museum of World Treasures in September 2019 and July 2020, provided four book reviews for the Air Commando Journal and was accepted into the security studies doctoral program at Kansas State University.
Kathryn Nelson, Ph.D., assistant professor of graduate education, earned a Doctorate of Education from Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas.
Scarlett Olsen, digital communication specialist, earned a Master of Arts in Communication from Webster University in December 2019.
Joanna Pryor, director of athletics, was inducted into the Cowley College Hall of Fame Jan. 18, 2020.
Melissa Romaneschi, DNP, assistant professor of nursing, earned a Doctor of Nursing from the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Christine Schneikart-Luebbe, was inducted into the Pillars of the Profession Class of 2020 by The National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
Melissa Smith, OTA instructor and academic fieldwork coordinator, was appointed by the governor to be on the OT council of the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts.
John Vogt, associate professor of mathematics and chair for the Division of Science and Mathematics, began his third term serving as chairman for the Harry Hynes Memorial Hospital Board of Directors.
Huachuan Wen, Ed.D., associate professor of education, published a book chapter, “A Literature Review of Faculty Ethics – How Culturally Competent Are They in Teaching Diverse Students?” in “Ethics in Higher Education,” published by Nova Science Publishers Inc.
Deanne Zogleman, instructor and director of music, was presented with her 10th Mary Jane Teall Award for her portrayal of Diana in the musical, “Next to Normal.”
- Megan Cook, Director of CRNA Program
- Sherry Ewing, Clinical Coordinator of Rad Tech
- Morris “Mo” Floyd, Director of Security
- Yelando Johnson, BSW Program Director
- Katie Link, HR Business Partner
- Clark Schafer, Director of University Relations
- Laura Scholl, Assistant Professor of Graphic Design and Digital Arts
- Velma Thomas, Custodian
- Jeffrey Vaughn, Director of Rad Tech
- Huachuan Wen, Associate Professor of Education
- Alan Oberley, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Kara Schwinn, Assistant Director of Financial Aid
- Brian Wells, Maintenance
- Fr. Joseph Gile, Dean of the School of Catholic Studies
- Kelly McFall, Professor of History and Chair of the Division of Humanities
- Maureen “Mo” Rohleder, Associate Athletic Director
- Sonya Santiago, Admission Processing Analysts
- Ryan Smith, Head Wrestling Coach
- Deanne Zogleman, Director of the Music Department
- Bryan Dietrich, Professor of English
- Christine Werth, Associate Registrar
- Bonnie Setzkorn, Transcript Analyst
- Sister Charlotte Rohrbach, Director of Mission Effectiveness